Each boule candidate presents a 5 min project review during a call

After some background talk, we came up with the following format to do this

DeFi Dad, Adam Cochran, Eraser Li, and Martin Krung (Me) will each host a call and organize them as a group leader.

We are looking for a 5 person to be a host/group leader.

Why we do this?

The goal of this:

• Give the broader public a better way to judge the candidates by seeing how they approach the task to review a project
  • Raise public awareness about AladdinDao
  • Bonding between future boule members
  • Bootstrap the broader community (a good working community of boule members will spill over to the broader community)

Task: Make a review of a chosen DeFi project

Every candidate should present a review of a project in 5 minutes to showcase his skills. The form is open, it can be only done by talking, or slides, demo, but after the call the review should be accessible in here.

We don’t want this a shill event, so people should avoid projects where they are very much personally involved. Each candidate should be transparent in his relation to the project and give information about his connection and motivation to review this particular project.

We narrowed this to DeFi project, but we also could open this up. There are infrastructure project too and are NFT project DeFi?

We are competitors in this, but it has to be fun too

This all should be a friendly competition and make fun too. Me personally will try to present this more as a game show than a competition.

proposed structure of the call (draft)

We have 41 candidates right now, so each group leader has to recruit 8 candidates for his team. One must have 9 candidates to make it to the 41.

Call should not exceed 2 h.

Intro

• Welcome everyone
  • Telling the public why we do this
  • Short overview, who are the candidates today. Best is if the candidates themselves say one sentence which project they review. Until this point, the project should be unknown to all others. This is to get the ball rolling and get the candidates involved into speaking in the call.

? What happens if two people have the same project in the same team, maybe the host has to know the project beforehand?

candidates present his review, directly followed by a brief discussion

• Each candidate then has 5 minutes to present his project. I strongly suggest turning the camera on for this. After each call, there is time for questions for the candidate, this should not take more than 5 minutes. I would suggest that the other team members ask first, because they are friendly and anyway engaged in the call, but everyone in the call is free to ask. Questions can also be written in the chat in zoom and then are asked by the host.

The timing must be hold for the presentation, discussion may take longer than 5 min, but nor more than 10 min. The host is responsible for this! Maybe a sidekick should be responsible for the timing.

8 * 15 min = 2 h = too long!
8 * 10 min = 1 h 20 min, okay

End

• Host ask question from the broader public which may raise during the live call
  • public forum, everyone is welcome to ask questions or add information on what we just heard

Generally:

I would prefer that people who speak turn the camera on. I think the candidates for sure should, if they don’t insist on being anon, people asking question don’t have to.

Assigned task to group leaders

The group leaders have the following task:

• coordinating with other group leaders to have similar structure for the call, see draft above
  • organizing his team and make sure everyone is well-prepared for the call
  • find a date for the call
  • organizing and host the call, manage time (5min per review!)
  • collecting presentation notes and/or make the candidates publish them on the forum.
  • use his social media channel to inform the public about ongoing stuff

Compensation

• Compensation for all elected boule members 0.03% ALD as sign up bonus
  • Compensation for the host/group leader 0.01% ALD
  • Compensation for the group leader in the team who can get most candidates vote into the boule will be an extra 0.05% ALD. If the number in several teams is equal, this amount will be split.
  • I Like this
  • Don’t like this

0 voters

3 Likes

I think it’s a fantastic idea and as a Boule candidate I’d love to present a DeFi opportunity I believe is super attractive. But I suggest to reduce from 8 to 4 the criteria of minimum candidates recruit. I believe it’s adding a massive layer of coordination bureaucracy and can set a precedent of prioritising processes over outcomes, a phenomenon that has made several DAOs in the ecosystem less competitive as they are trapped in processes slow everything down.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Each boul candidate presents a 5 min project review during a call:

This proposal makes a lot of sense. As boule candidates work hard to service the broader community, they deserve to be well incentivized.

Token distribution should be in line with contributions to the DAO.

AladdinDAO should be community owned from the start.

3 Likes

I love this proposal as it’ll help people make a more informed decision with their boule candidate votes. I’m happy to take the 5th leader spot if available and helpful - otherwise more than happy to participate as a candidate!

2 Likes

Will be happy to nominate to the 5th leader as well.

3 Likes

Tend to agree here - coordination with larger groups may be difficult and slow things down, it might make sense to reduce the minimum.

Happy to join as a leader if we need more.

3 Likes

I am open to being the 5th leader as well.

Couple of things that may be interesting to think about:

1. I noticed in the past two community meetings that several of the candidates were non english speakers. To make sure we give them a fair chance and the language barrier is not a handicap for them , we should either give them more time or have some way for someone to translate for them in an effective and agreed upon way.

Since content vs delivery can be very important. And it would not be fair if they did not have chance to make sure they get their research properly presented.

1. Encourage candidates for Boule to rehearse–to make sure they have done it several times to make sure they can do in 5min, and they cover what they want and are prepared.

I know there are many brilliant folks in the Boule candidate group but presentation skills can vary and candidates should not get penalized for their content if delivery is not great…practice will help there…sounds obvious I know but just saying, becuase I have seen at startup competitions etc where folks always go over time

1. You could also have a timer on screen or someone giving a 1minute time warning. I know you mentioned having a second person thats a timer

2. we could also collect the questions (with a scribe) so we make sure we document the questions in case its not clear at the end

6 Likes

Would be happy to step in as a 5th leader; this format makes a lot of sense and likely closer aligns with AladdinDAO’s mission.

2 Likes

I agree with these points. Having an international community brings unique insights. For me DeFi has always been a meritocracy and doing deep work isn’t about presentation skills. So candidates should not be penalized for not having a polished presentation but rather evaluated for clear reasoning and depth of research.

2 Likes

For me, it’s an incredible try for DAO, making most members join, discuss and vote together, which means, we could have more chances to be discuss something together.
And definitely, we need leaders for the group instead of deciding via everyone.
Enjoy~

2 Likes

Many points important points, but the one with the none english speakers is the most important one to find a good solution.

I have been a full time contributor for the dxdao the last 1/2 y and the dxdao has contributor from US west coast to Australia. We were unable to integrate anyone from china/asia, we only had like two people interested the whole time. I also think the crypto scene and structure is quite different. For me twitter and CT is the main media of serious narrative about crypto, voices from china are not very present because china has their own dominant internet services and social media platforms.

I strongly think diversity and different views on stuff is one of key strength of Aladdin but definitely a challenge too.

But It’s also a huge opportunity: the second life stream had like 15 viewers on youtube, but around 15’000 on the chinese side as sharlyn told me. What this also means that the asia/chinese team has a high chance to get most of their candidates elected if this 15’000 are also tokenholders! ( I don’t have a clue about the distribution of token, so this is only speculation)

As it looks now the non English speaking candidates end up mostly on Eraser Li’s team. He or @sharlyn may experience a similar thing many times and may have a standard solution for this.

The AladdinDao and the future boule members is now constituting itself, and I think it’s important to put some effort into how to fill the western/asia gap, but maybe right now this is second priority and should be an important topic after the vote.

1 Like

I was thinking about this, but at the end if we have like 5 candidates, we will end up with 8 calls. If we look at the timing, voting is set in 2-3 weeks, this would need 3-4 calls a week, which is a lot.

The chance that other candidates, which do not present, will be present, is much lower this way.

1 Like

Very well thought structure. I tend to believe that this is the best we can come up with given the time constraints. Two additional points I’d like to add:

1. In my opinion the projects of choice should be previewed by the leaders well in advance to ensure that there are no duplicates, which otherwise may disadvantage the candidates that present the same project but later. A project can be presented more than once as long as the candidates all agree. If some agree and the rest don’t, the ones that disagree are free to choose a different project. If all disagree, all candidates with the same project have to choose a different one except for the first candidate that submitted the duplicated project.

2. All candidates deserve the compensation for their contributions. Although, a clear vesting schedule needs to be stated regarding this specific reward for the community to vote on.

1 Like

I have been a full time contributor for the dxdao the last 1/2 y and the dxdao has contributor from US west coast to Australia. We were unable to integrate anyone from china/asia, we only had like two people interested the whole time. I also think the crypto scene and structure is quite different. For me twitter and CT is the main media of serious narrative about crypto, voices from china are not very present because china has their own dominant internet services and social media platforms.

—Is there a way for us to think going forward of ways to integrate our platforms?*

—I strongly think diversity and different views on stuff is one of key strength of Aladdin but definitely a challenge too.*

—I think diversity and different POV is super important so much so that I think the folks that pick the Boules should think about this as they select the Boule members. Having good representation of thought but also geography asia/west but hopefully south america and africa too. Most of the Defi so far has still been more esoteric and most of the users of products are not the “masses” I think the dream of crypto helping the other 99% helps by making sure folks in those areas that know those “customers” will help. Its hard to evaluate a product if you cant relate to the user/consumer that comes from some geographies that are not traditional finance hubs (developing areas).

But It’s also a huge opportunity: the second life stream had like 15 viewers on youtube, but around 15’000 on the chinese side as sharlyn told me. What this also means that the asia/chinese team has a high chance to get most of their candidates elected if this 15’000 are also tokenholders! ( I don’t have a clue about the distribution of token, so this is only speculation)

—These statistics are amazing. And seems to indicate how important it may be to track the contribution from different parts of the DAO.

As it looks now the non English speaking candidates end up mostly on Eraser Li’s team. He or @sharlyn may experience a similar thing many times and may have a standard solution for this.

The AladdinDao and the future boule members is now constituting itself, and I think it’s important to put some effort into how to fill the western/asia gap, but maybe right now this is second priority and should be an important topic after the vote.

–I understand not priority now but agree 100% see comment above

1 Like

Agreed with the proposal, really constructive.

2 Likes

Crypto is global but in reality it is very different culture and user behavior in each region. The Youtube video was edited and posted online a couple of days post the meeting. I think we had several hundred users viewing the live streaming from Youtube. There is a huge difference from the number in China. Most of the users in China don’t use CT, Youtube and Discord. It is a very different world. I think this is a very interesting aspect of AladdinDAO where we are building a truly global community to let
East meets the West.

1 Like

I think we can have overlap on the projects for the presentation. The key point is to show to the community boule candidates’ understanding of DeFi, knowledge structure, analytical capabilities and reasoning process. The focus is not on the project itself but how people analyze a project, the expertise and perspectives they can bring to the room.

All contributor tokens are vested over 4 year period, 42% for the first 12 months, 66% after 24 months, 85% after 36 months and 100% after 48 months. This will be disclosed in the liquidity mining schedule.

3 Likes

So @0xrodney will be the fifth group leader. I know from @sharlyn that he showed interest to do some extra work, even before I started these proposals.

In fact, I think in the future this kind of stuff should be managed by the boule member themselves maybe even with a public vote by all boule members, one member one vote. The boule members are not the sovereign of the AladdinDao, but nothing stops the boule member to organize their own stuff.

Because a lot of tokens will be distributed to the boule members, they will be one of the keyholders of ALD token at the end and I think it makes sens to use the boule to allow people to get involved into governance of the Dao anyway.

Right now, we don’t have the tools in place to vote, nor processes or established communication channels to make this in any efficient way. So to start we go with this informal process.

What I personally can suggest, if one of the other people who applied as a group leader is in a european timezone, that he can be co-host with me. If this is the case, pleas DM me, I’m open for collaboration. For myself I think it makes sens to find the candidates for my team loosely in the European timezone anyway.

We said date/time for the calls is set by the group leaders, but I suggest to mostly use the same time as the other calls have been as it looks a good time for most of us. 2- 4 pm UTC / 10 -12 am EST / 4 - 6 pm CET / 10 - 12 pm HKT

With Fionas and Sharlyns help I made a sheet with to coordinate the calls, I will post a link in the discord channel “boule members only”

For my call I also set a date for the to Monday, 6 September, the time above. If you are on the European timezone or think you want to be in my team/call, feel free to sign yourself up on the sheet and dm me too.

2 Likes

Agreed, though still thinking that it’d be nice to have at least some kind of limit on this, especially within a single group. Perhaps 2 or even 3 duplicates in the same group is still fine. More than that may overshadow the late presenter, especially in a short time span. The possibility of having more than 3 duplicates in a group may not appear to be significant, still, just some food for thought if that really occurs.

1 Like

So after some organizing we had the first of this calls yesterday hosted by me, the others will follow over the next few days. We ended up with 4 calls with 10 candidates each.

E-m9YzQVIAITspP (1)

This is a summary of the first Research Race:

2 Likes